Macaroni W.I.P

Last week I asked for and got some very good advice from you guys about how to maybe pursue some of my macaroni challenge ideas. I’ve settled on two ideas, both require changing the nature of the pasta from it’s current form.

Phase One: The Watched Pot

This is where I sit around for what feels like forever and wait for this thing to boil. I follow it up by dumping an entire box of macaroni in there and waiting some more. I left it all in longer than I would if I were to want to eat it because I wanted it to break down easily and from there it went drained but un-rinsed (need that starch) into the chopper to pulp it. It was goopy so I threw in the suggested additional cornstarch, which promptly made it into a paste comprised of a viscosity for which my Cuisinart will forever resent me.

Phase 2: Seeing What Sticks

After I saw the consistency I was able to make some choices about how to proceed. One idea was to make it into a sheet that I could potentially paint, or better yet, print on. It seemed like this could be a good time to experiment with dehydration so I pre-heated the oven to 200 degrees and spread the mixture out on a foiled cookie sheet.

I left it on the oven for 2 hours and so far like the results. The top side is dry, but flexible, the bottom side was more like a soft rubber. I can see potential for both, but left it soft side up to air dry over night.

The other thought was to use it like a paste over a form, which could later be sanded or sculpted into shape. It was far too sticky to work into anything literal so I spread it over a wire mesh form and stuck it in the fridge to try another drying technique. The extra blob over there is just that, an extra blob. I’m curious to see what texture it will have in the morning without a substrate to support it.

Next week, I’ll follow up with part 2 of the Great Macaroni Experiment.

Advertisements

One Response to “Macaroni W.I.P”

  1. Not to be a butt-in-ski, but you can skip a step or two if you use EZ-Sand drywall setting mix over fiberglass tape that’s meant for patching holes and wall seams. USG has several curing times (5-20-45-90 minutes) in #20 lbs. bags. All you need is a bucket, water, a drill, and a mixing bit. I could have missed something though regarding your intent of material purpose, or those limitations, as gypsum sulfate is largely indigestible. I used it in layers to create rather strong, stable support molds over brush-on rubber that I put over a large plaster cornice-work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: